Monday, April 14, 2008

guns up



Recently there's been a lot of press about the crisis that Philly is in with reference to gun violence. Cops shot, kids shot, clerks shot. I mean what does it take to say that something has to be done. And there are these state councilmen who for some reason feel it's totally necessary that gun laws be dictated by the state not the city. Mayor Nutter just signed 5 bills restricting the sale of guns, such as One Gun a Month, and the state is going to sue him. WTF!? Who needs more than one a month!? Who needs more than one period? Everyone opposed to gun restrictions is harping on the second amendment to the Constitution which was written over 200 years ago when it was necessary to protect ourselves from England and the Native Americans. It was formed for reasons to arm a national militia. We don't need a national militia anymore, we have an organized army and there's no threat of someone coming ashore to conquer our soil now adays. And if there was they'd come from the sky and 357 sure wouldn't help much with that.
I hope that this brings serious attention to the problem and until then I'm going to be out trying to raise awareness with an anti gun campaign i'm working on. I'll update as I go along and link to our site soon. Should be up pretty soon, but there's a lot of elements to bring together so be patient. We'll be dropping some guerilla stuff before that though. Meanwhile here are some links to articles about the situation.

http://www.thebulletin.us/site/index.cfm?newsid=19475066&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=8

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20080412_A_gun_dealer_takes_issue_with_city_gun-control_laws.html

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/11/878693.aspx

http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/saf-blasts-killadelphia-mayor-council-measures-defying-state-law_558997_1.html

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6274606&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

No comments: